Are Divorce Decrees Permanent?

In short, no. The agreements you and your ex reached at the end of your divorce, from child support to alimony to custody, are not set in stone. They can change when necessary. However, just because they can change doesn’t mean the process is simple or automatic.

At , we help families across the Auburn area deal with the fallout from the changing circumstances of their lives after their divorce. If you need help securing an appropriate modification or enforcing your current agreements for non-paying exes, we can help. Our team is experienced and aggressive in pursuing the results you need.

What Leads To A Modification?

The law in both Alabama and Georgia allows people to pursue modifications to divorce orders under changing circumstances, such as:

  • Loss of job
  • Relocation
  • Change in marital status
  • Child’s health

While none of those reasons is a specific launching item for a modification, they do represent a change in circumstances. These changes are important to address to ensure that your agreements are working properly. However, if these changes happen, you must do things the right way, as acting unilaterally to alter your agreements can leave you open to significant legal risk.

How To Enforce Your Agreements

Despite the legal risks of refusing to pay or ignoring court orders around family law matters, it does happen. If your ex has chosen to refuse you access to your children or has not paid appropriate support, you can take action, and we can help.

We can aggressively pursue a number of actions, including a contempt action, against your ex. This would make their delinquent payments or refusal of orders a crime, and they would face jail if they did not comply. This is a sensitive matter, to be sure, but when it comes to receiving the assistance you need, you must take action.

Thorough. Experienced. Strong.

Any family law issue has the potential to make life a lot harder for you and your family. However, sometimes you have little choice but to pursue your goals for the good of your children. When you’re ready to get started, reach out to us today by calling or sending an email.